Many of our small business clients desire to write a book; however, they worry about not being great typists. Google Voice Typist is a 100% FREE tool you can use to write your book even if you don’t know how to type. All you need is a computer with internet access and a Google account (like Gmail).
How to Write a Book with Google Voice Typist
- Open Google Drive in your web browser at https://drive.google.com.
- Sign in with your Google account if you haven’t signed in already, or register if you don’t have an account. Again, FREE!
- Create a new Google Docs document, click on Tools in the Menu, then navigate to Voice Typist in the drop-down menu.
- Make sure your desired microphone is selected. You may be prompted by a pop-up or you may need to click on the video camera icon that may appear in the browser search bar.
- Click the microphone button that appears on the left-hand side of your screen to start recording.
- Speak naturally and watch in awe as your words appear in the document.
- You can speak commands like “new line” or “period” to control punctuation.
- You can even speak in other languages and Google Voice Typist will transcribe that too! Results are complete with appropriate accents and other special characters.
- You will need to review and edit your document for accuracy but at least the hard part, getting your story down, will be done.
- Go write!
Now you have no excuses!
Writing a book is a great method to build your business. Business owners with published books under their belt benefit from increased credibility, increased brand recognition, increased sales, and the ability to create alternative income streams.
Writing a book also sets you apart from the competition. Your published book not only establishes you as a subject matter expert but also increases your perceived value in the marketplace. If you need additional help getting started or don’t know what to write about, you’re encouraged to seek a writing coach.
Google Voice Typist is a great tool to get your book done. You can also use it to write your blog posts, articles, eBooks, and even social media posts. Just copy/paste your edited work from Google Docs into the application of your choice.
Do you use Voice Typist? Do you know of any other transcription tools small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs can use to write their books? Please let us know in the comments and if you found value in this post, please do share it with your networks.